Friday, February 13, 2009

New project started

I've finally cleared all the lingering cobwebs from the Kadie portrait from my head (and the paint from my palette).

I've been asked to reprise a painting I did this fall as part of an exhibit at the Lost River Artisans Cooperative. Several member artists created paintings of the cooperative (which is housed in a 150-year-old bank barn) for a small show that highlighted how each artist can interpret a scene.

Several of the works, including mine, were donated as part of a silent auction to benefit programs at the cooperative.

Some friends bid on my painting, but were unsuccessful. So they have asked me to paint the scene again.

This request poses some challenges for me, in that they want a painting that is similar to the other in size, dimensions, and subject matter, but I don't want to create the same painting twice.

So, I've changed some elements of the composition and the viewing angle, plus I will also change the color temperature. Drawing is now done, and I've finished stapling the paper to my board for stretching.

Here are some images of the first version of the painting.

Overall color temperature is cool with splashes of warmth.

Some details of the antique McCormick-Deering tractor on display in front of the cooperative's barn. The barn also hosts the Lost River Museum, and agricultural displays are an important part of the museum's collection.

The finished painting: 7"x10" on Arches 140# rough paper.

The challenge is to make the second version very different. I'll post updates as I make progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment