Monday, September 16, 2013

The "F" word

Yes, that's right. It's the "F" word: Facebook.

I've followed the crowd into social media. Mind you, I don't have a personal Facebook page and don't intend to create one. However, I've found more and more that artists, arts advocacy groups, and galleries are spreading the word about events, shows and more through Facebook.

So, now I have Facebook logos on my website and blog that link to my Facebook page, which is at www.Facebook.com/WaitesRunStudios.

I've been on Facebook for a couple of weeks and I've noted its strengths and weaknesses. In short, it seems most effective with images and short, snappy posts.

But, as a writer, I find that format to be a little too confining. So I don't intend to give up this blog. It's the perfect place to write about painting at length - with topics such as techniques, materials, design principles, inspiration and more.

I view the Facebook page as a way to announce events. It's also useful, I think, to introduce more people to watercolor painting,  mostly by sharing images of paintings in process. And I will use Facebook to encourage "Friends" to visit this blog to learn more about the medium.

That said, I encourage you to "Like" my Facebook page to keep up with the new nuggets of information that I share there.

No comments:

Post a Comment